[CAVO] [VVSG-election] [VVSG-interoperability] Single Point of Failure - the Scan Head - RE: By November, Russian hackers could target voting machines

Gilbert,Juan E juan at ufl.edu
Thu Jul 28 17:35:38 UTC 2016

Great point Susan. This is why we print a paper ballot. Specifically, we print a ballot on a single, blank sheet. The printed ballot is the ballot of record. So, if we are using COTS, even if it's 100% foreign, it doesn't store a ballot locally on the machine and it's not connected to the network. If someone hacks the code, they can't change the outcome of the election such that it's undetectable. This is the equivalent of me taking your ink pen, breaking it and asking you to mark the ballot without noticing your ink pen doesn't work properly.

Thanks,