[CAVO] Discussing proposed new licenses

Brian J. Fox bfox at opuslogica.com
Fri Sep 11 15:18:13 UTC 2015

Hello Nigel -

> On Sep 10, 2015, at 2:45 PM, Tzeng, Nigel H. <Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu> wrote:
>
> the vanilla open source license would face resistance from some segment of stakeholders.

Please clarify exactly what the resistance would be, and from exactly which segment?

Also, do you really mean "would face", or do you mean "has faced?"

If there is something fundamentally wrong with the GPLv3, I would like to both know that, and to fix it.  If, however, there is only a misunderstanding, some fear, uncertainty, and doubt surround the magic letters of GPL, I would really appreciate knowing that as well.

Perhaps the GPLv3 is actually totally fine, and should simply be named the Open Election Software License V1 instead.

Thanks,

Brian
--
Brian J. Fox