[CAVO] STAR Vote

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri May 29 17:22:30 UTC 2015

What Dan Wallach says about open source licensing below is correct, although I don't blame the problem on lawyers for MIT, Apache, or even Android. :-)

As long as software for voting and election is available to everyone under an OSI-approved FOSS license, we should be comfortable with that.

ANY OSI-approved FOSS license!  Recommending a specific open source license at this stage is kind of foolish. It depends a lot on the preferences of the developers and their customers, and on the characteristics of the software itself.

But for CAVO, the license must be open source and thus on the OSI-approved list. The OSET Foundation license (OPL) has never been submitted for OSI approval. We can't use it.

The reason I recommended the GPLv3 license for CAVO is because that license is enthusiastically supported by many people around the world. They "trust" the GPL license to create secure software. They are confident that such software will "remain always" free. But that isn't the only license for free software. And it isn't the only OSI-approved license that people trust.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen

"If this were legal advice it would have been accompanied by a bill."