[beyond-licensing] next steps for Beyond Licensing?

Tony Wasserman tonyw at opensource.org
Wed Nov 29 23:13:18 UTC 2017

Hi, everyone,

I'd like to see OSI be a leader in setting the agenda on key issues
related to open source. Our lack of activity has effectively ceded that
leadership role to others.

So I agree that we need a reset of some sort if we want to have a voice
on these topics. To me, one problem is the choice of the phrase "beyond
licensing" as the name for the group, since that suggests a focus on
legal issues, even if that wasn't the intention of the group's founders.
Another problem is that key members of this group are extremely busy,
and simply don't have the cycles to work on yet another group.

I would propose retiring this working group, creating a new one with a
name like "future directions in open source", jointly develop a list of
topics, and then see who is interested in working on them.

Cheers,

Tony