[License-discuss] Curious about derived works and AI...

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Fri May 31 20:14:30 UTC 2024

On Fri, May 31, 2024 at 12:10 PM Stefano Maffulli <stefano at maffulli.net>
wrote:

> The cases may never be resolved and be settled out of court with
> conspicuous payments.

The plaintiffs definitely want a precedent in case law, and some of them
have deep pockets.

> you're **vastly** overestimating your power to drag your friends and
> family and colleagues, and private+public services

We are having this discussion because my friends and I dragged all of those
folks to something new and revolutionary called Open Source. I did not
refrain from doing that in consideration of the limits of my power or, the
worse one: the fear of failure.

Stop right there: OSI isn't afraid of offending one sponsors, we don't
> respond to them.

Simon Phipps was a witness and we can discuss that offline if you wish, and
I don't believe you further the discussion by so taking umbrage. While I am
confident in what Stef could do, independently of his OSI position, OSI's
limitations are embedded in OSI's corporate formation documents, and in
their broader social milieu. It is no crime that OSI can not do everything.

    Thanks

    Bruce