[License-discuss] Curious about derived works and AI...

Josh Berkus josh at berkus.org
Sat May 25 19:39:25 UTC 2024

On 5/18/24 17:06, Miles Georgi wrote:
> Hi! If I open-source a project with a free license, if code from that
> project winds up being used as training data or prompt data to a
> code-generating AI to generate similar code, would that generated code
> be considered a derived work under any circumstances? And does that
> potentially depend on what license is chosen?

This is very much a matter of current court cases, so any answer you get
now you'd expect to be different in 2-3 years.  Also, edge cases like
this will vary by country.

In other words: you will need to retain an attorney to answer this
question, and they will likely tell you "it depends".

--
Josh Berkus