[License-discuss] Updating the PHP license

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Sat May 25 17:16:02 UTC 2024

We are not your lawyer, and you really should have one. Everything you get
from this mailing list falls short of legal advice. Many of us are not
admitted to the bar, and even the ones who are are not contracted to advise
you.

That said, it looks to me like you are within clause 5, but in your place I
would do one more thing: ask for any of the existing developers who object
to the new licensing to make that known, publishing that request widely.
For everyone who does object, write their code out of the product. Wait a
little while for further objection, and then publish the product with the
new license.

That gives you a little more protection against people who might somehow
have the desire to litigate around the license change.

You should show this to your lawyer before you act on it.