[License-discuss] Curious about derived works and AI...

Miles Georgi azimux at gmail.com
Sun May 19 00:06:51 UTC 2024

Hi! If I open-source a project with a free license, if code from that
project winds up being used as training data or prompt data to a
code-generating AI to generate similar code, would that generated code be
considered a derived work under any circumstances? And does that
potentially depend on what license is chosen?

I'm trying to choose a license for a project I wish to release and I'm
assuming there's no way to protect against something like that but figured
I'd ask.

Cheers!

Miles