[License-discuss] What's wrong with the AGPL?

Dirk Riehle dirk at riehle.org
Sun Jun 16 16:12:15 UTC 2024

On 14.06.24 00:42, Kate Downing wrote:
> I wrote about this at length here:
> https://katedowninglaw.com/2019/09/08/the-great-open-source-shake-up/

Thanks again; I read it (twice). It is an enjoyable description of the
IP / business strategies behind single-vendor open source cloud
infrastructure components. I have written many such explanations as well.

My question however was: How/why does the AGPL fail to be a cloud
copyleft license? (If it does.)

The closest you say is: "But even the AGPL’s obligations can be avoided
by simply not modifying the AGPL 3 code, which there is often no reason
to do, or by building layers between the AGPL 3 code and proprietary code."

I disagree. Covered code according to the license (section 0.
Definitions) is not only code which modifies the original code, it is
also code that uses the original code (the interface symbols of a
function call necessarily migrate into the client code). This is classic
strong copyleft as the Linux kernel has upheld for a long time.

As to building decoupling layers (shims): If they are recognizably
circumvention techniques, at least German lawyers reassured me, they
won't fly in court. You can't shake off copyleft just by a layer of
function call indirections + renaming.

So I don't think that the issue is with the definition of what's covered
by copyleft, but rather with the trigger, i.e. the "conveyance". Also
from the AGPL section 0. Definitions: To "convey" a work means any kind
of propagation that enables other parties to make or receive copies.
Mere interaction with a user through a computer network, with no
transfer of a copy, is not conveying.

I guess it is the "mere interaction" is the phrase which kills the cloud
copyleft effect? The rest of the license seems to me to argue against
this statements, and for the longest time people called the AGPL a cloud
copyleft license.

Maybe for clarification (my definition of cloud copyleft): A third party
who uses covered code through a network has the right to request and
receive the source code of the covered code under its original license.

What am I misunderstanding?

Thanks, Dirk