[License-discuss] What's wrong with the AGPL?

Kate Downing kate.v.downing at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 22:58:07 UTC 2024

As to your question about issues with the SSPL, at least for me it comes
down to this language in section 13:

“Service Source Code” means the Corresponding Source for the Program or the
modified version, and the Corresponding Source for all programs that you
use to make the Program or modified version available as a service,
including, without limitation, management software, user interfaces,
application program interfaces, automation software, monitoring software,
backup software, storage software and hosting software, all such that a
user could run an instance of the service using the Service Source Code you
make available.

Most, if not all, of my clients don't write their own management software,
monitoring software, backup software or hosting software. In many cases,
they're licensing proprietary code for these things that they have no right
to open source. Typically, if a vendor offers two versions of software -
one as on-prem/self-hosted and another as a hosted service, the self-hosted
customer is expected to go get this stuff elsewhere. It's not something
they're licensing as part of their product. So this provision is just
really far removed from what companies can do and honestly from what they
should be doing as a business. You probably *don't* want a vendor of
accounting software to also be writing their own security monitoring
software. It's not what they're experts in.