[License-discuss] Retroactively disapproving licenses

Marc Jones marc at joneslaw.io
Thu Dec 15 23:51:49 UTC 2022

On Thu, Dec 15, 2022 at 6:12 PM McCoy Smith <mccoy at lexpan.law> wrote:

> [...]

The fact that OSI is treating the approved listed as "a historical
statement" by default today is the reason why I am reluctant to agree in
contracts that someone can "use 3rd party code subject to an Open Source
License" where "Open Source license" means any license approved in the
history of OSI.

There are many licenses that OSI has approved that I do not want to
randomly be applied to code shipped to clients. At the very least I want to
think carefully before accepting code under some of the licenses that OSI
has approved in the past. Before agreeing to use any license included on a
list maintained by OSI in a contract, I would like to have either reviewed
the entire static list of licenses or have some confidence that OSI is
going to maintain the quality of the list going forward. To me it is a
question of OSI's reputation as a good steward of a resource.

Alternatively instead of fighting about the meaning of "approved", we could
build on the categories that OSI already puts some of the licenses into.
OSI could make license categories like "legacy," "currently endorsed," and
"deprecated" to go along with the categories created by the License
Proliferation report like "voluntarily retired" and "Non-reusable
licenses''. I don't think there was ever an expectation that the license
proliferation committee was going to be an ongoing effort, but  putting a
process in place to keep those categories up to date seems like a
worthwhile effort, regardless of if "approved" means approved at some point
in the past or if "approved" means current approval.

-Marc

--
Marc Jones, esq.
marc at joneslaw.io
860-916-6720

The information contained in this email may be confidential and/or legally
privileged. It has been sent for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
If the reader of this message is not an intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is
please reply to the sender and destroy all copies of the message. To
contact us directly, send to marc at joneslaw.io. Thank you.