[License-discuss] Retroactively disapproving licenses

McCoy Smith mccoy at lexpan.law
Thu Dec 15 22:21:56 UTC 2022

I sort of feel like if you're using this sort of clause, and limiting it to only OSI-approved licenses, you're leaving a huge gap (compare the list of SPDX licenses to the OSI-approved licenses, for example).
Nevertheless, I can't see a justification for keeping a license on the list if it in fact it does not meet the OSD. And, as I think some have argued on the approval list before, it opens you up for the argument that "you approved this OSD-non-compliant license in the past, so you should approve *my* OSD-non-compliant license now."

> My suggestion is to think of the official list as a historical statement.  This is a
> list of licenses that OSI has ever approved.  Then within that list, maybe there
> could be a designation for licenses that the OSI board no longer supports.

This has been at least one suggestion for how to deal with licenses that are non-compliant. My guess is that you'd do something like what has been done for deprecated licenses -- say past uses are grandfathered, but that future uses are not recommended, and that projects that have used licenses deemed non-compliant are strongly encouraged to change to a different, compliant, license.