[License-discuss] Fwd: Should fork a project on github be seen as distribution of origin project?

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Wed Aug 3 20:02:14 UTC 2022

On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 10:50 AM Thorsten Glaser <tg at mirbsd.de> wrote:

> The NOTICE file is the absolutely worst place for this as it’s an
> append-only must-not-be-removed requirement of the Apache 2 licence
> which I always found questionable in the first place…

I agree. A file called NOTICES has a special status in the Apache 2.0
license, it appears that any additions to it _have_ to be included in a git
pull in order to comply with the license. Remember the invariant sections
in the GNU FDL, and how disliked they were as legal instruments meant for
the propagation of rants? This isn't particularly different.

So yeah, put the notice in MODIFICATIONS.md as I suggested, or any file but
the license text and NOTICES, in order to give people who follow you
the most latitude to comply with the license without making a mess.

    Bruce

--
Bruce Perens K6BP