[License-discuss] Question about Python 2.0 license

Candice Wright timelessdevotion at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 17:38:04 UTC 2021

Hi everyone!

I’m trying to find out why the Python 2.0 license listed on OSI and SPDX
differs some from the Python license listed on their site. I help with
ClearlyDefined, which uses SPDX identifiers to identify project licenses,
but the difference in the license text is having some of us think we
shouldn't use 'Python-2.0' for Python projects since it isn’t a match.

I’m not very familiar with the history of Python and the license, but I
couldn’t find the version listed on OSI being used in the Python projects I
have come across.

Can someone help me understand why there is a difference and if we can
update the wording to match the current Python license text?

Thank you,

Candice