[License-discuss] Thoughts on AAL and OSS vs FOSS

McCoy Smith mccoy at lexpan.law
Mon Mar 30 15:51:27 UTC 2020

According to the OSI’s website, here is the author information on that license:

Originally written by Edwin A. Suominen for licensing his PRIVARIA secure networking software (see www.privaria.org). The author, who is not an attorney, places this license template into the public domain along with a complete disclaimer of any warranty or responsibility for its content or legal efficacy. You may use or modify the language freely, but entirely at your own risk.

Note that the dedication of the license to the public domain means that a 2.0 version could be written by anyone.  Although, if you’re going to deprecate 1.0 in favor of that 2.0, you probably want to let the author know and have a chance to respond and/or do the reve himself.