[License-discuss] Generic process for removing approved licenses. Re: REMOVE AAL from list of approved licenses

Simon Phipps simon at webmink.net
Fri Mar 27 16:48:55 UTC 2020

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 4:29 PM Henrik Ingo <henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi>
wrote:

> Sure. In my list the start of the 15 months review is essentially a
> deprecation. I didn't want to use that word, because deprecation to me
> implies the decision is already final. But I'm not against it either.

I would favour having a preliminary step of "deprecation" based on a
Board-validated consensus that the license is no longer acceptable,
followed by a delayed removal step after either a process like you describe
or several years of deprecated status with no challenge. This will ensure
that the concern some have expressed about gaming a removal process can be
addressed without blocking the ability to advise people not to use certain
licenses any more when it seems obvious.

Simon
(personally)