[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

Tobie Langel tobie at unlockopen.com
Sun Mar 22 11:45:57 UTC 2020

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 3:01 AM Gil Yehuda via License-discuss <
license-discuss at lists.opensource.org> wrote:

> Tobie,
> It was my intent to convey a message with good faith. But to use humor to
> make a point. I think there are serious issues in the world. The appeal to
> human rights, genocide ("kids in cages"), etc. derails the productive
> conversation about copyrights and author-responsibilities.

Gil,

I'd like to point out that I did not use this example as an emotional
appeal, but, very explicitly, as a contrived example to illustrate a
specific issue about a particular section of the OSD.

The points you're bringing up are important ones, and they're absolutely
worth discussing, but regardless of your intent, bringing them up in this
context is a strawman argument; you're refuting points that I did not make,
and as such, suggesting that I did make them. This leads people to pile on
instead of addressing the initial issue raised, and the quality and
civility of the conversation suffers as a result.

That said, McCoy and I should have changed the subject line of our
sub-thread on the specifics of the OSD to better reflect its topic and I
apologize for not doing so. I'll be careful to try and practice better
mailing-list etiquette in the future.

--tobie