[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

Tobie Langel tobie at unlockopen.com
Fri Mar 20 16:55:28 UTC 2020

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 5:17 PM Russell McOrmond <russellmcormond at gmail.com>
wrote:

> There is such a large focus on whether the OSD can be changed -- I believe
> it can, and when necessary should.   I think it is obvious that I don't
> believe this is one of those times, except if we decide to possibly add
> clarity to the OSD as to why the discrimination some desire must be
> excluded from open source.

I agree. Currently section 5 and 6 are vague (in particular the term "field
of endeavor") and imho an ethical licenses could be written that complied
with the OSD. So, if after a thorough and good faith effort, a working
group, representative of the community at large, came to the
conclusion that ethical licenses weren't implementable, it should probably
suggest to the board that the OSD be tightened so that the criteria used to
certify licenses would correspond to what's actually in the OSD.

--tobie