[License-discuss] Strong non-discriminatory licensing

McCoy Smith mccoy at lexpan.law
Mon Mar 16 15:43:24 UTC 2020

From: License-discuss <license-discuss-bounces at lists.opensource.org> On Behalf Of Russell McOrmond
Sent: Monday, March 16, 2020 6:40 AM
To: license-discuss at lists.opensource.org
Subject: Re: [License-discuss] Strong non-discriminatory licensing

About your separation of source and binary -- is the idea to not require "corresponding source" for a distributed binary, and to only have the copyleft principles apply to the distribution of source code?  Sounds interesting to me if you can get a lawyer on board and figure out a legally enforceable way to do it.  I suspect it won't be trivial.

The separation of source rights from binary rights is a pretty common thing in the proprietary world.  I.e., license to source, but internal only, under NDA, right to modify but not distribute; license to binary includes right to distribute, although often with restrictions and/or payment of royalties or fees.  So a decent lawyer, with some software license agreement experience, would find the exercise perhaps not trivial but not exactly insurmountable.