[License-discuss] Strong non-discriminatory licensing

Russell McOrmond russellmcormond at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 13:39:42 UTC 2020

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 9:23 AM Brendan Hickey <brendan.m.hickey at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Separate from the question of feasibility is the policy question. Is
> strong non-discrimination desirable in open source software licensing?

I think it is desirable to have a community around specific software able
to protect itself from some of the more abusive proprietary concepts while
remaining largely permissive.  As as a policy goal it seems like what you
are looking for is a more permissive copyleft.  I've been hoping that
people will look at the copyleft concept and seek other bundles of
exclusive rights waivers for derivative works.  I've been concerned that
the GNU GPL is far too concerned about linking, and that has lead them
towards seeking to harness legal control around and through interfaces.

About your separation of source and binary -- is the idea to not require
"corresponding source" for a distributed binary, and to only have the
copyleft principles apply to the distribution of source code?  Sounds
interesting to me if you can get a lawyer on board and figure out a legally
enforceable way to do it.  I suspect it won't be trivial.