[License-discuss] Thoughts on the subject of ethical licenses

Pamela Chestek pamela.chestek at opensource.org
Thu Mar 12 21:13:45 UTC 2020

Please do avoid attaching points of view to any specific characteristic
of a group or individual, whether it's gender, age, nationality,
ethnicity, religion, hair color, or Star Wars/Star Trek. It's an easy
way to offend someone you didn't mean to offend and then any valid point
you hoped to make will be missed entirely.

Just some other thoughts:

A lot of idioms, metaphors and slang are offensive, but we don't realize
it because we're so used to them. They are also often confusing to a
speaker of a different native language. Words may also have different
degrees of offensiveness depending on the culture. As plain,
non-rhetorical English as you can manage will the be easiest for
everyone to understand and the least likely to unintentionally offend.

Pam

Pamela Chestek
Chair, License Review Committee
Open Source Initiative