[License-discuss] Questions Regarding Open Source Hardware Licenses

Michael Bretti appliedionsystems at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 04:41:10 UTC 2020

To Russel Nelson,

Thank you very much for your suggestions and feedback. I have not heard of
The Incredible Secret Money Machine, but I will definitely look into it.
Also, I think your suggestion on extensive publication falls in line very
well already with my current activities and goals. Right now, I publish
everything I work on extensively and openly across multiple public social
media platforms in great detail, and have been working to synonymize this
new area of ultra-low cost satellite propulsion with the Applied Ion
Systems effort and branding. It does seem like people in industry are
taking notice, and being a relatively small field, word can get around
quick. I would definitely like to be successful, and I think a big part of
that is tackling this interesting grey area of open source hardware
development with a very unconventional approach from the standard accepted
practices in the field. I also feel that being very engaged and involved
with the community, as well as growing a community and following around
these efforts itself will help set this effort apart more uniquely than the
typically high barriers raised by traditional players in the field.
Ultimately, the goal is to advance accessibility of the technology so that
any sized or funding-level nanosatellite team has an opportunity to learn
and work with electric propulsion, as well as students and the
hobbyist/maker community. And a big piece of that is getting this work out
there and noticed. What I lack in funding, I can gain with collaboration,
sharing, and an extremely fast and efficient maker approach!

Sincerely,

Michael