[License-discuss] Language, appropriateness, and ideas

VanL van.lindberg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 02:48:30 UTC 2020

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree that Free Software was developed
based upon a particular moral and ethical point of view. I also think you
are correct that the moral foundations of FOSS text to attract many people
with strong moral convictions.

That said, there is an essential difference between moral/ethical views
that are *necessarily congruent* with FOSS and those that are not.

There may be a way to incorporate other moral views into a license, and it
is acceptable to propose ideas regarding how that may be done.

However, it is unclear whether any effort  to do so can work, even in
theory. FOSS, and the OSD in particular, have strong non-discrimination
language at their core. Many ethical licensing schemes are at their core an
effort to discriminate.

Thanks,
Van

Van Lindberg