[License-discuss] Ethical open source licensing - Persona non Grata Preamble

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Feb 26 15:23:23 UTC 2020

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 8:35 AM Johnny A. Solbu <johnny at solbu.net> wrote:

On Tuesday 25 February 2020 16:43, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> I am one of those who fully agree with Eric Raymond on this.

Social justice clauses /Does Not/ belong in licenses, in any form.

I agree, for reasons stated.

Adding such clauses makes any software using such a license, proprietary
> software.

Not unless they limit the rights of licensors.  If you are an aggressive
software patenter, you can still use and modify GPLed software, even though
you have to endure being condemned by the FSF as a threat to all software
everywhere.  (The absence of software patents is clearly one of the
"conditions we require to accomplish open-source cooperation".)

Cash registers don't really add and subtract;
        they only grind their gears.
But then they don't really grind their gears, either;
        they only obey the laws of physics.  --Unknown