[License-discuss] Ethical open source licensing - Persona non Grata Preamble

Eric Schultz eric at wwahammy.com
Wed Feb 26 01:44:08 UTC 2020

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 1:43 PM Richard Fontana <rfontana at redhat.com> wrote:

> So, suppose a PNG preamble says "Members of $marginalized_group are
> not welcome in our community" (I think from your initial message you
> recognize that your approach could be used in such a way). If I could
> demonstrate that an effect of that language was that members of
> $marginalized_group avoided the software altogether, isn't that almost
> as bad as an outright prohibition on use by those members?

It'd be vile and as a community I'd hope we'd organize to discourage that
kind of behavior. I don't know that I'd consider it non-FOSS.

And yes, I think one of the biggest risks of using this mechanism is
publicizing it so others use it to target marginalized people. That's why
I'm not recommending it or devising a license.

Eric

--
Eric Schultz, Developer and FOSS Advocate
wwahammy.com
eric at wwahammy.com
@wwahammy
Pronouns: He/his/him