[License-discuss] Ethical open source licensing - Dual Licensing for Justice

Eric Schultz eric at wwahammy.com
Tue Feb 25 17:16:02 UTC 2020

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020, 8:02 AM Pamela Chestek <pamela at chesteklegal.com>
wrote:

> I don't see the point of these contortions. Why not just write a license
> that says "everyone case use the software except Amazon." It suspect it
> would be an enforceable license. Why are you trying to fit it under the
> umbrella of "open source" too?

Sure, that's an enforceable license, but it's not FOSS. Lots of people
value FOSS but are also concerned about other issues in the world. If they
feel their only option is "ethical source", they're going to convince
themselves that's an acceptable choice. We need a set of options, licensing
or otherwise, that uphold the OSD and FSD and allow them to make some
different on the other issues in the world. I'm trying to explore the
licensing topic here.

Eric