[License-discuss] Ethical open source licensing - Persona non Grata Preamble

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Fri Feb 21 21:28:11 UTC 2020

John Cowan writes:

> In order for the attachment to propagate with the work, the license has to
> specify that it can't be removed, though.   So, for example, you can't
> attach it effectively to the GPL, because the GPL only says the GPL must be
> preserved, and any additional terms that restrict the user's powers (in
> this case the power to remove the attachment) can be deleted by anyone.

It's more like the "front-cover texts" and "back-cover texts" in the
GFDL, I guess.

"... with the Front-Cover Texts being 'yay Republicans boo Democrats' ..."
/
"... with the Front-Cover Texts being 'yay Democrats boo Republicans' ..."

Or maybe like the charityware notes in, say, vim, except with a
discouragement to work with a particular group rather than an
encouragement?

In the old days I think I remember how much people appreciated that FOSS
was collaboratively developed by people who had enormous disagreements
with each other in other ways.  Sometimes it seemed like a point of
pride or fascination -- "sir, I detest what you say (or do), but I run
your code and you run my code", to misquote a misquotation of Voltaire.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org>      |  Qué empresa fácil no pensar
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/        |  en un tigre, reflexioné.