[License-discuss] Ethical open source licensing - Persona non Grata Preamble

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Feb 21 20:39:51 UTC 2020

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 3:33 PM Gil Yehuda via License-discuss <
license-discuss at lists.opensource.org> wrote:

If I'm following this correctly, I think the proposal is to have an OSD
> compliant license that has attached to it some sort of credo and wall of
> shame. The credo defines the category of undesirables and the wall of shame
> preserves the record of those names upon distribution.

In order for the attachment to propagate with the work, the license has to
specify that it can't be removed, though.   So, for example, you can't
attach it effectively to the GPL, because the GPL only says the GPL must be
preserved, and any additional terms that restrict the user's powers (in
this case the power to remove the attachment) can be deleted by anyone.

People go through the bother of Christmas because Christmas helps them
to understand why they go through the bother of living out their lives
the rest of the year. For one brief instant, we see human society as it
should and could be, a world in which business has become the exchanging
of presents and in which nothing is important except the happiness and
well-being of the ultimate consumer.  --Northrop Frye (1948)