[License-discuss] Improvement to the License-Review Process

VM (Vicky) Brasseur vmbrasseur at opensource.org
Tue Aug 25 22:14:21 UTC 2020

Andrew DeMarsh wrote on 25/8/20 13:51:
> There are plenty of legal professionals on this list that can most
> likely write a far better rule/requirment, I personally would not throw
> in the X projects requirement as I think that changes the rules
> significantly from what they are today and would require a lot more
> input/consideration then simply "be professional, no mix and match
> licenses". approach despite that being the "silent" rule in L-D and L-R.

Purely as an FYI, not to imply support or rejection of an idea to have
an "X projects" requirement, here's how the SPDX License List handles that:

"The license has actual, substantial use such that it is likely to be
encountered. Substantial use may be demonstrated via use in many
projects, or in one or a few significant projects. For new licenses,
there are definitive plans for the license to be used in one or a few
significant projects."

The full SPDX license inclusion principles are here, for the curious:
https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/blob/master/DOCS/license-inclusion-principles.md

--V