[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: Discussion: AGPL and Open Source Definition conflict

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Sep 24 18:43:54 UTC 2019

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 2:14 PM Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY CCDC ARL (USA) via
License-discuss <license-discuss at lists.opensource.org> wrote:

This is actually starting to sound like an interesting/good idea.  For GPL
> compliance, you can't get much better than having the source artifacts
> stored with the binary itself.  So, the question is, what is the easiest
> way to test storing all artifacts within a binary?  I did an extremely fast
> perusal of what 'apt search' would  give me for editing ELF files, but
> haven't installed or tested anything.  Is there a command-line tool that
> already exists that would let us store arbitrary data in an ELF binary?
> I'd like to see how far we can push the concept...

ELF format is divided into sections, and NOTE sections contain arbitrary
key-value pairs, where the value can be up to 2 GB.  There seems to be no
utility for adding and removing these, but there is no problem in
principle: the ELF format is well documented, and a tool (called elftar,
perhaps) to add, remove, and extract such chunks would be straightforward.
It would just be necessary to establish a convention about which keys
correspond to source files.