[License-discuss] [License-review] Evolving the License Review process for OSI

Henrik Ingo henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
Mon May 27 13:51:03 UTC 2019

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 9:31 PM Tzeng, Nigel H. <Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu> wrote:

> I hope and believe that i have not engaged in any ad-hom attacks.  If I have then I apologize.
>
> That said, I don’t believe that stating my perception that you two dominate the list is ad-hom.

Considering that one has been acting as the board appointed license
review chair, and the other is the founder of the organization and
author of the OSD, your comments certainly come across as attacking
the messenger. In any case, the have not helped advance your agenda
with the rest of us.

More generally, the amount of list activity from Richard and Bruce
seems to correlate with the amount of hours they spend reviewing, for
free, details of the submitted licenses, historical precedent, and
wider community implications and connections. Their influence is
proportional to the work they contribute. This is how the open source
community works elsewhere too.

> My issue and frustration has been the lack of acceptance that GOSS has its own needs and that special purpose licenses are a category where these needs can be safely met without necessarily setting precedence for other open source domains.

You are associated with the NASA license, right? Also in that case the
very specific reasons the license is not acceptable have been clearly
explained to you, and claiming that the problem is a lack of
understanding or appreciation of your government doesn't correctly
summarize those reasons.

> The call for de-listing existing licenses also makes me very uncomfortable as most likely the special purpose licenses are the ones that will get targeted.

That's not what that discussion is about. But your concern is
certainly justified, I think we all share it. The topic as a whole is
troublesome.

> It is true that I am much more pro-developer vs pro-user in as much as I lean toward permissive licenses providing more developer freedom and less interested in further extending the bounds of copyleft which curtails developer freedom.

Your assumption that vast hordes of developers aren't strongly
pro-copyleft is also mistaken.

henrik
henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
+358-40-5697354        skype: henrik.ingo            irc: hingo
www.openlife.cc

My LinkedIn profile: http://fi.linkedin.com/pub/henrik-ingo/3/232/8a7