[License-discuss] comprehensiveness (or not) of the OSI-approved list

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu May 23 17:38:28 UTC 2019

Nicholas Matthew Neft Weinstock wrote:
> .  If a program has functionality covered by a patent owned by a completely unrelated 3rd party, the program's license doesn't give all the Patent rights a user needs.  At best, you could claim that the program's license gives all the Patent rights FROM THE IDENTIFIED CONTRIBUTORS that a user needs.

Don't forget the important defensive termination provisions in some licenses. If the copyright license to an important open source program is terminated because of the filing by that third party of a patent lawsuit against that program, this may be a sufficient defense for protecting our software. Even third parties must be careful who they sue.

/Larry