[License-discuss] comprehensiveness (or not) of the OSI-approved list

Nicholas Matthew Neft Weinstock nweinsto at qti.qualcomm.com
Thu May 23 17:06:02 UTC 2019

Agreed.  I've been saying for a while (since I started participating on this board) that there needs to be clear recognition of the difference between the LICENSE and the PROGRAM, and make sure we're talking about the right thing.

Copyright ownership is more straightforward: Only one person is the owner of the Copyright covering the code, the person who created that code.  So if all contributors grant a Copyright license, you can reliably claim that the program's license gives all the Copyright rights a user needs.

But Patent ownership isn't like that.  It's not based on who created the code, it's based on who first invented the functionality.  If a program has functionality covered by a patent owned by a completely unrelated 3rd party, the program's license doesn't give all the Patent rights a user needs.  At best, you could claim that the program's license gives all the Patent rights FROM THE IDENTIFIED CONTRIBUTORS that a user needs.

In reviewing the OSD, some sections explicitly reference the license, such as section 3, while others explicitly reference the program, such as section 2.  It's interesting to note that section 7, the one that Richard identified as relevant to the CC0 discussion, says "The rights attached to the program..." which isn't clearly either one.

Thanks,
Nicholas Weinstock

=-=-=