[License-discuss] discussion of L-R process [was Re: [License-review] Approval: Server Side Public License, Version 2 (SSPL v2)]

Andrew DeMarsh andrew.dema at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 21:16:14 UTC 2019

First I apologize for replying to multiple emails in this thread in one
email:

> The OSI board votes, and we receive no tally naming directors and their
> votes yay or nay, nor their rationale for voting as they did. This makes it
> difficult for us to determine how we should vote for OSI directors

I would echo Bruce's sentiment. As an individual member, how is it possible
as the current board exist's and functions to be an informed voter?
Currently There is no way. We have the capability to record/stream video
and audio easily via many services for free over something as everyday as a
cell phone. I would encourage the OSI to begin some form of minutes whether
it be video or audio recording so that we can be informed in our choices.

> IMO there really is a hump that people have to get over to be good
> contributors, and it is a significant one.

This hump as you describe it, is only worsened by the medium by which many
of the discussions surrounding these idea's take place. I've followed this
mailing list for a number of years and there is always a number of
discussions that repeatedly pop up with very much the same conclusions.
This is usually met with "cleverly" worded complaints stating there
tiredness/disinterest in discussing the topic again and, when asked to
reference/reread these discussions most state they are not able to or
unwilling to invest that kind of time to locate them. If L-R and L-D
actually would like to have new, thoughtful input from others on topics
that haven't been beaten to death, either a better front-end to the mailing
list should be used or as Mr. Hillburn mentioned a new medium altogether
(such as discourse) be used.

Thanks,

Andrew DeMarsh