[License-discuss] The pro se license constructor

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Sun Mar 17 18:02:36 UTC 2019

Nigel,

I don't have a problem with improving the process. We have a number of
proposals so far:

1. Use a communication system other than email. The main advantage seems to
be better tracking of a discussion. They also have disadvantages. I would
at least replace the mailing list archiver software. Pipermail has a strong
bias against MIME email which does not fit the times, and archives rich
format email horridly.
2. Use PEP. This appears to be an RFC-like process, and I am not yet clear
how it avoids the complaint about the present process, which is that
discussion of the proposal on a mailing list seems to be un-trackable or
uncomfortable. Python mostly used the python-dev mailing list.
3. Get more lawyers. I do see lots of lawyers in the discussion, and nobody
is keeping out lawyers.

    Thanks

    Bruce