[License-discuss] Trigger for licensee obigations

Pamela Chestek pamela at chesteklegal.com
Sat Jun 29 17:00:39 UTC 2019

On 6/29/19 9:08 AM, Pamela Chestek wrote:

> On 6/28/19 11:40 PM, Bruce Perens via License-discuss wrote:
>>
>>     2.    _At what point the licensor can oblige licensee behavior_.
>>     The trigger for meeting license obligations can differ across
>>     licenses. The most common, almost universal trigger, is
>>     distribution of software. The AGPL license triggers upon allowing
>>     network interaction with modified software. The
>>     CAL license implements a new trigger, which is the obligation to
>>     make unmodified software available to anyone interacting with an
>>     interface for the software. In other words, someone might install
>>     a program that allows for interaction with the website (perhaps
>>     providing a webform to sign up for a newsletter) and would now be
>>     obliged to make the source code available to any person who
>>     filled out the
>>     webform. http://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review_lists.opensource.org/2019-May/004113.html
>>     <http://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review_lists.opensource.org/2019-May/004113.html> The License Review
>>     Committee does not believe that there has been adequate airing of
>>     this issue from a variety of viewpoints on the license-review
>>     discussion about this aspect of the license, so has not reached a
>>     conclusion about at what point imposing license obligations is
>>     appropriate.
>>

>> I'm not sure I agree with the committee here, this is the public
>> performance issue and a /synthetic /public performance right exists
>> in an accepted license.

I assume you mean the AGPL, but only if the software has been modified.
Under the CAL, one cannot simply run the software without the licensee
having an obligation. Is it a principle of open source software that one
should be able to simply run software free of any obligations?

Pam

Pamela S. Chestek
Chestek Legal
PO Box 2492