[License-discuss] Fwd: Re: Data portability as an obligation under an open source license

Christine Hall christine at fossforce.com
Sat Jun 29 16:32:07 UTC 2019

If my understanding of this issue is correct, then it seems pretty clear
cut that this is a restriction that can't be part of an open source license.

Open source licenses (again, according to my understanding -- folks with
many years experience at OSI should correct me if I'm wrong) should
apply only to the software being licensed, and the data collected by or
stored within a software application is clearly not part of the software
itself.

By including anything, be it data collected by applications or other
software used to deliver the application, could open a door that would
eventually make open source software irrelevant.

While the advent of cloud and uses such as Software as a Service have
opened new avenues for skirting software freedom, I don't think that
software licensing is the proper way to deal with these issues,
especially given the provision in the OSD that license must be
technology-neutral.

Christine Hall
Board - Open Source Initiative