[License-discuss] [License-review] For Approval: The Cryptographic Autonomy License

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sat Jul 13 23:58:30 UTC 2019

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 10:03 AM Russell McOrmond <russellmcormond at gmail.com>
wrote:

I can't tell if you are agreeing or disagreeing that it is the same or
>> similar (right to authorise "public performance" of software, and
>> interface/API copyright).

I'm saying that there is no public performance right for works that aren't
performed.  Plays are performed, sculpture is displayed, software is
neither.  If you think it is, the burden of persuasion is on you.

> You still haven't answered my question about whether ssh-ing to someone
>> else's server and running some program there counts as "on your own
>> computer" or not.  Does it matter if you pay for the use of the server or
>> it is gratis?  (I hold that the GPL conditions attach in all these cases)
>>

> I did answer, but you didn't accept my answer.
>
> It is usually bad form to repeat an answer to a Straw Man argument.  I
> specifically spoke about control, not ownership of hardware.

Ownership *is* control.  If it's my server, I get to turn it off, whether
you "control" it or not.

> This means if you ssh into a computer you control (the use of the ssh
> protocol itself doesn't disclose the level of control you have), then you
> are the one who installs/combines/runs/etc the software (the software user,
> for the purposes of software license agreements).   While I don't believe
> private copying should be regulated by copyright, and have actively
> promoted that concept within Canada, we can leave that issue for the moment
> as you seem to accept that all these activities should be thought of as
> regulated activities.

Apparently we are talking past one another.

I suspect this is where you were trying to lead the conversation,
> suggesting that typing commands on a shell is analogous to a public
> interface.

You couldn't be more mistaken if you tried with both hands.  I give up.