[License-discuss] Data portability as an obligation under an open source license

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Jul 8 19:26:02 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 2:13 PM Russell McOrmond <russellmcormond at gmail.com>
wrote:

The human beings that are software end users are the individuals and
> companies that are running the software on their computers, not the users
> of their service.

[...]

> Your conceptualisation of user control is very different than mine.
>  Users of software are those who are executing the software on computers
> they control.

So on your views, then, a person who has an AGPLed program on their own
computer has a right to the source (because they are "users"), whereas a
person who runs that same program on a remote server owned by someone else
has no such rights (because they are not "users" because they don't control
the remote server).  I find that difficult to swallow.

He that would foil me must use such weapons as I do, for I have not
fed my readers with straw, neither will I be confuted with stubble.
                        --Thomas Vaughan (1650)