[License-discuss] Copyright on APIs

Henrik Ingo henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
Sun Jul 7 08:23:19 UTC 2019

While I haven't closely followed the details of Oracle vs Google, purely
from a layman and business standpoint it seems clear that Google did create
Android / Dalvik exactly to be interoperable with Java. This means one can
run the same Java source code on either platform and the java.* namespace
offers the same packages and functionality. But importantly,
interoperability also goes the other way: Android was compatible with the
millions of developers familiar with Java syntax and standard libraries.

If I remember correctly, Oracle did find early on one function
implementation that had indeed been copy pasted from OpenJDK to Android.
But this was so minor (and obvious) it is not part of the issues decided in
higher courts.

henrik

henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
+358-40-5697354        skype: henrik.ingo            irc: hingo
www.openlife.cc

My LinkedIn profile: http://fi.linkedin.com/pub/henrik-ingo/3/232/8a7