[License-discuss] Copyright on APIs

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Tue Jul 2 17:44:20 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 10:38 AM VanL <van.lindberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't see how this position can possibly be logically consistent with
> the broad understanding of open source: A foundational license of both free
> software and open source, that is not FOSS if it is used as explicitly
> described within the license?

A license is used with additional text not accepted by OSI, and thus the
combination is not accepted as Open Source. This is a very common situation
and applies to every license that does not have an explicit ban on
additional terms. Consider the "commons clause" in that regard. I don't
think we had any problem determining it wasn't Open Source.

    Thanks

    Bruce