[License-discuss] FYI, opensource.dev released

Mike Milinkovich mike.milinkovich at eclipse-foundation.org
Wed Jan 9 22:22:27 UTC 2019

On 2019-01-09 5:16 p.m., John Cowan wrote:

>     Given that we just re-licensed all of GlassFish (Java EE) from
>     CDDL to EPL-2.0, you would certainly have my agreement that the
>     CDDL could be removed.
>

> "Heads off all around but us."  :-)

Exactly! I do realize that I was being quite shameless in that regard.

>     I can assure you that the Eclipse Foundation alone has more than a
>     handful of projects. (Over 350 actually.)  Then there are the
>     entire Clojure and OpenDaylight communities, along with JUnit,
>     Mondrian, etc.
>

> Yes, I worded that badly.  I meant that there are only a handful of
> well-known EPL-licensed projects *outside the Eclipse Foundation*,
> which is
> definitely not the case for Apache-licensed projects outside the
> Apache Foundation.  Wikipedia lists only four beyond the four you
> mentioned: ksh, graphviz, Jikes, and UWIN.

There are obviously more than that, but I am certainly not going to
argue that the EPL has the adoption of the Apache License.

But until or unless the OSI changes its criteria, I will continue to
assert that the EPL is supported by a strong community.

--

*Mike Milinkovich*

*Executive Director | **Eclipse Foundation, Inc.*

mike.milinkovich at eclipse-foundation.org

@mmilinkov

+1.613.220.3223 (m)

---