[License-discuss] For Public Comment: The Libre Source License

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Wed Aug 14 05:05:34 UTC 2019

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 7:34 PM Russell McOrmond <russellmcormond at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is it the act of me typing the software into my computer that offends you?

Obviously, the act which would offend many reasonable software developers
who place reciprocal terms upon their works is not your typing. It is your
creation of a derivative work, an act that is restricted under copyright
law *whether you perform it in private or not. *

Some of us choose, in our licenses, to allow you to perform that act in
private. We *choose *to do so. We are not compelled by law to do that. You
do not fundamentally have that right.

Law does not permit you to perform any act whatsoever in private,
regardless of whether it is harmful to anyone else or whether anyone else
would even notice you doing it. Sorry.

I could also discuss ephemeral copies and their relation to use, and what
authors choose to permit you rather than what the law does. Although
administrations differ upon this.

    Thanks

    Bruce