[License-discuss] patent rights and the OSD

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Tue Mar 7 20:51:29 UTC 2017

On 07/03/17 13:30, Christopher Sean Morrison wrote:
> It left me blinking too.  Which OSD clause requires the distribution terms to permit use?

I believe that position here is that OSD only covers copyright licensing
and that US copyright law gives permission to use software (for
copyright purposes) to anyone with a copy.  UK law does require an
explicit use permission.

Because it is US-centric, there was no conception that you might need to
give an explicit permission to use.