[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] patent rights and the OSD

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil
Tue Mar 7 14:05:16 UTC 2017

I personally think that software that is distributed without a patent license or a waiver of patent claims is not Open Source (this is my opinion, and not a Government position).  It prevents people from freely modifying the code.  That said, I don't have a problem with someone holding a software patent; in some cases, it may actually be beneficial because it prevents someone else from holding the same patent, so it may actually clarify what is being licensed[1].

Thanks,
Cem Karan

[1] I'm not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, find someone that really knows the law to make sure this is correct.