[License-discuss] Possible alternative was: Re: U.S. Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL) Version 0.4.1

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Mar 2 00:46:11 UTC 2017

Jim Wright wrote:

> in the absence of action on CC0 that would not be unanimously supported to say the least

I know that is true but I don't know what it means for this license-discuss@ list. I haven't personally voted on a license in years.

According to several government folks here, government departments and others are already using CC0 for software. Profusely. Please don't blame me; neither Creative Commons nor I ever recommended CC0 for software. But that happened, because of those damned software patents that interfered with normal open source licensing by government departments and universities.

TO ANYONE AT OSI WHO ACTUALLY VOTES: Please vote to list CC0 as an OSI-approved open source license. Even Jim Wright said, and he's right, "Something is certainly better than nothing, I agree...." Deal with patents separately.

/Larry