[License-discuss] Possible alternative was: Re: U.S. Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL) Version 0.4.1

Jim Wright jim.wright at oracle.com
Wed Mar 1 15:49:03 UTC 2017

Indeed, if there’s no copyright in the US, there may be no need of a copyright license from the government here, but in any event there *is* an OSI approved permissive license that licenses both any applicable copyright rights (without actually requiring that the government have any) and patent rights applicable to the project - the UPL.

If the government releases code under the UPL, and accepts contributions under the UPL, they are using an OSI approved license, full stop, no need of extra terms or to treat other contributors any differently than the government itself, no need of an express public domain dedication which is any different than what is already true by law, everyone is simply licensing whatever copyright rights they possess as well as whatever patent rights they possess covering the project as they contributed to or provided it, and it seems to me at first glance like nothing else need be done…?

 Regards,
  Jim