[License-discuss] FreeAndFair license

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Jun 21 20:32:54 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 3:59 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

The author in your hypothetical is not actually violating his/her own
> licence, because he/she already had statutory rights to the work's
> copyright-covered rights, and didn't need a licence to get them.

Indeed; I should have put "violate" in scare quotes.  This is no
hypothetical, though; it is the term rewriting language Pure <
https://agraef.github.io/pure-lang>, which I recommend to anyone interested
in dynamically typed languages that use pattern matching (and lack
constructor discipline a la Haskell).

In the sciences, we are now uniquely privileged to sit side by side
with the giants on whose shoulders we stand.  --Gerald Holton