[License-discuss] New maintainer, changing license?

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sat Jul 29 09:16:22 UTC 2017

On 29/07/17 09:38, Johnny A. Solbu wrote:
> I am the new upstream maintainer of the cd ripper Grip

What do you mean by the maintainer?  If you are the actual copyright
owner, you can distribute it under any licence you like, as long as you
continue to honour requests to supply the source code for versions you
previously distributed.

To the extent that you do not own the copyright in any particular file,
you can redistribute that file under the relevant version 3 licence.

If you have accepted non-trivial changes without copyright being
assigned to you, or the right to re-licence, you do not fully own the
copyright in the affected files and cannot make an arbitrary change of
licence, but can still upgrade to version 3.