[License-discuss] step by step interpretation of common permissive licenses

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Jan 13 19:13:42 UTC 2017

Chuck Swiger wrote:

> This is a pretty common mistake that developers tend to make when reviewing licenses.  The law doesn't come in a fully denormalized grammar suitable for context-free parsing; more importantly, judges aren't compilers.

The law DOES come in a "fully denormalized grammar suitable for parsing," but of course no parsing is ever context-free.

The problem is that many FOSS licenses DON'T use a standard grammar for such important things as "derivative work" or "attribution notices." Developers and their lawyers often write or review licenses without a standard grammar. And then they assume that licensees are mind-readers or "compilers" of that legal code.

That's the world we live in. Please don't disparage developers alone for this problem.

/Larry

> I tried interpreting the terms of common permissive licenses following a "step by step" approach, like if they were instructions in programminng code, and I found with my big surprises that doing so they became non permissive licenses, or permissive licenses only using some "border-line" interpretation.

This is a pretty common mistake that developers tend to make when reviewing licenses.  The law doesn't come in a fully denormalized grammar suitable for context-free parsing; more importantly, judges aren't compilers.

[<LER>] <snip>